Categories can be managed at either the Director level or the local level. If you are managing items at Director we recommend also managing all your categories at Director. To enforce this you should ensure that the "Corporate Categories" setting on the Director Configuration page is turned on.
Adding Director Categories
1. Navigate to the Director level > Click on the Store's name > select your Director account.
2. Select your Name in the top right corner > Select Director Settings > Director Item Categories.
3. You will see in the video below we added "Freezer Goods 2" at the Director level. This Category has a trash can icon because it was created at the Director level.
4. Once you perform a Store sync this will push the "Freezer Goods 2" Category down to the store level. From the store level (Store > Store Settings > Item Categories) you will see there is no trash can icon, as it must be deleted from Director first to be removed.
Adding Store Categories
1. Navigate to your Store
2. Click on your Name in the top right corner > Store Settings > Item Categories
3. You will see in the video below we added the Category "Freezer" for Frozen Goods. This Category has a trash can icon as it was added within the Store's location.
4. The other Categories available were created at Director, so you can see there are no trash can icons. If we wish to delete these categories that will need to be done at Director first.
Q: I have a Director account and when I'm logged into a Store some Categories I can delete and others I can't - what does this mean?
If you are inside of one of your Store locations and you don't see a trash can icon next to a Category name, this Category was created at Director and will need to be deleted at the Director level. If you are inside one of your Store locations and you do see a trash can icon next to a Category, this Category was created at the Store level and can be deleted within the Store.
Keep in mind though, if a Director Category is synced down to a Store and then the Director Category is deleted at Director, that Director Category will still be available and listed inside of the Store. You will also need to delete this category at the store level. (When you delete a category you have to select where all the data from that category would go, which is why this second step is required.)
Q: I have local categories but I want to start managing them at Director, how can I "Directorize" my categories?
If you add a Category with the exact same name up at Director and sync down, this will connect the Director category to your previously-local category, so it will now just be a Director category. If you want to tweak the name slightly instead of using the exact one from the local level just make the correct name at Director, sync it down, and then delete your local category. When you go to delete it you'll have to select which category to put all the items into, and from here you can select your new Director category.